The More The Mary-er!

I am picking up my world and moving it from Washington, DC to Davis, CA. My blog life begins here.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Convolutions

I had this amazing dream last night. I dreamt I was in class of some sort (totally far removed from my real world...and they say dreams are just consolidated memories!) and the teacher/professeur was Christiane--my lovely French superviser from the clinic. She had just finished up class and upon departing, uttered, "Okay, well, I guess you're all fired home--metaphorically speaking!" As she was leaving, we all sort of looked at one another dumfounded, and I exclaimed, "That doesn't make any sense. 'Fired home?'" Another student (a friend by the name of Max from high school) said, "Well, she just never makes any sense." He didn't realize she had forgotten something from the classroom and was coming back at that very moment, so she overheard him. We all sort of downplayed Max's comment and just admitted we were confused by her little expression. So she explained that back in her village, whenever an employer wanted to fire an employee, it was required that he/she go to that persons house to do it, and this fact lead to the expression "fired home" which basically just means "you're dismissed." Okay, so my dreams are not terribly exciting, but what I found so cool about it (as Ozzie pointed out) was that my own brain manufactured something it (my brain) did not understand and then explained it to itself! Isn't that weird? How could I not have understood what "fired home" meant or at least heard it as a familiar phrase when my own brain had just manufactured it? And then--to repeat myself--my brain decided to clear up the misunderstanding that it had just created by creating an entire context for the expression that it did not understand. Those are some levels of metacognition, and I feel I had nothing to do with it. I was just an outside (yet inside) observer to the intricate (and bizarre) workings of my own brain.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:29 AM, Blogger jonesie said…

    aaron,

    it appears that the drop-off in your posts may have caused a decline in your readership. or at least those in your readership who comment. i just want you to know that i am still here, loyal as ever. and the whole thing with your brain creating an explanation for something your brain hadn't understood is fascinating and too bizarre... your brain working in tandem with ozzie's makes me nervous.

    and i got your message the other day! so try again from your fancy computer phone gadget thing. the seattle number does indeed work here.

    love you,
    nj

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Blogger scooterlulu said…

    Hiyeee Aaron! It is my first chance to catch up.

    My brain did the same thing a few weeks ago. I won't go into it, but when I asked my brain for the answer to a question that has been bothering me, my brain (in the form...WHOA...I just realized how wierd this is because of its similarity to your dream...in the form of a FRENCH ACCENTED PROFESSOR TYPE...told me..."The Proof is in the Pudding." I know what the phrase means, but it doesn't really answer a question that I know my brain knows the answer too. So I asked everyone I know what they think that phrase means...What do YOU think that phrase means Aaron? If you aren't sure, could you go to sleep tonight and ask your old french professor? - Lulu

     

Post a Comment

<< Home